So you got your new Apple iDevice and feel like you have mastered the basic features of the device and your wondering what other cool things can you do with it. Well look no further i’m about to give you a step by step guide on unleash device by JAILBREAKING it.
So heres some background on what jailbreaking is:
Jailbreaking is simply the process of removing the limitations imposed by Apple on devices running there iOS operating system.
There are two types of jailbreaks for iDevice , untethered and tethered:
Tethered – are frustrating and require a computer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device. Every time your iPhone, iPod, or iPad reboots or the battery dies, you have to connect it to your computer for it to turn on.
Untethered – requires no connection to your computer except for the initial jailbreaking process. You can reboot your iPhone,iPod or iPad as much as you want without having to connect it to your computer to boot.
Today you will be learning how to do an untethered jailbreak to your iDevice following the steps below:
Supported Devices & Firmware
As of now this jailbreak only works on the following devices and firmware: ( PLEASE NOTE this will NOT WORK on any iPad 2 or iPhone 4s)
- iOS 5.0.1
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G
- iPad 1
First foremost your going to need to download these two software items before you get started.
Make sure you have iTunes 10.5 or newer on your computer.
Download iOS 5.0.1 ( make sure its the one that goes with your model iDevice)
You can download iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad and iPod Touch 4G/3G from the links below:
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 3GS – iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4 GSM – iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4 CDMA – iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPad 1 – iPad1,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPod Touch 3G – iPod3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for iPod Touch 4G – iPod4,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
First of all connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and backup your personal data before restoring to iOS 5.0.1.
Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to iTunes 10.5 or later, hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the restore button on iTunes and then browse select the downloaded iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file (Unlockers MUST use Custom Firmware).
Once the restore process is completed;
Then check “Install Cydia” and hit the next button.
Now make sure your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is turned OFF and Plugged in to your computer. Hit Next.
Now follow the on-screen instructions to enter your device in DFU mode.
- Hold Down The Power (Corner) button for 3 Seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (Bottom Center) button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds
Congrats you just jailbroke your iDevice and can officially say you have some nerd in you !!!